Tuesday 27 April 2010

Ancestral Pilgrimage – Navsari & Surat



Taking a year out of my life has been equally about connecting to where, what and who I've come from as much as being able to contribute community development. It is the culture and values I have found in the humble 'aam admi' people of this vast country that touched me and brought me here. Recently, it was the 2nd year anniversary of my Ajiba's (Grandmother) passing which happened in her flat in Navsari. She would spend the UK winter months in India and return back for summer. My Bapa (Grandfather) had died over 14 years ago and so it was probably quite lonely for her, but she was a strong independent woman – who was always happier in India.

After a 24 hour bus-train combo journey, I arrived at our Navsari flat late in the evening. My Mama (uncle) had cooked pasta for me anticipating a craving for non-Indian food! It hit the spot... and shortly after we went to sleep. The next morning we woke up at 4.30am in order to make it to the local Hare Krishna Temple that my uncle had set up. He has been a full time ISKCON Brahmacharya (saffron robes) for the past 25 or so years and like his mother, preferred to be in India, and so set up his own trust and local temple. We get into his mini van and take a short drive to what looked like the plushest shopping centre in town of Navsari. My uncle has purchased a first floor front facing unit and converted it into a temple and ISKCON centre. He explains all that he is doing, intertwined with spiritual philosophy, as he prepares the deities and completes the Aarti. Mama is 50 and totally independent – so he makes breakfast for me and one student devotee who has joined us.

In the following two days, I am able to visit the birth home of my Ajiba and spend time with family I never knew. I also got the chance to travel to Surat where my Dad's family come from, in particular the village of Kosad. There are lots of stories to tell, but don't have the energy to write them up fully here! So ask me if you're interested!

Check out the PHOTOS of the village, family homes and people here: Ancestral Pilgrimage

No comments: